FRANK LAMPARD says his nightmare at Everton will "make him stronger" - and he’s vowed to return and prove himself in the Premier League.
The ex-Chelsea and England legend was axed on Monday after a miserable run of results saw the Merseyside club sitting joint bottom of the league.
Frank Lampard was sacked following Everton's defeat to West Ham Credit: Reuters
But Sun Online understands Lampard is already plotting a comeback - with a move abroad his likely next step.
A source said: "Frank is devastated at how things worked out at Everton. He loved the club, and he loved the fans - and he dearly wanted to make things work.
"He worked tirelessly to try and achieve that. He accepts he came up short but, at the same time, he thinks the whole experience will only make him stronger as a manager.
"He is 100 per cent looking to the future. He will take a holiday, reflect, but would love to be back in the game soon.
"A move abroad to somewhere like Spain, Holland, Germany or even America really appeals to Frank. He thinks he needs a fresh start to reset.
"The last two jobs - Chelsea and Everton - have come with a hell of a lot of baggage so he’d like to be at the helm of a club with less issues off the pitch."
On Monday, we told how Frank knew the game was up at Everton moments after the final whistle against West Ham.
And Sun Online can reveal Lampard said a number of farewells to his backroom team before leaving the London Stadium.
An "emotional" Lampard admitted he knew what was heading his way.
A source close to the club said: "Frank knew that if he didn’t get a response from the players in the West Ham game it was all over. And he didn’t.
"That’s why afterwards he said his goodbyes, privately, to members of his backroom team. It was very emotional because Frank isn’t daft. He knew the stakes were high and had a fair idea about what was coming.
"He did his very best for the club and he’s devastated to have come up short. But despite that he’s determined to come back and prove he is a top class manager."
Lampard feared the game against West Ham was make or break for his future as Everton boss.
Sources inside the struggling Merseyside club had told how a defeat - and a poor performance at the London Stadium - would see him axed.
On top of that, morale among the players is thought to have been rocked by the lack of January signings.
Last week, it was revealed that Everton are bracing themselves for the exit of Dominic Calvert-Lewin at the end of the season.
The England hitman is wanted by Newcastle - who may even have moved in for him in January if it wasn’t for the player’s injury problems.
A source said: "Calvert-Lewin is right at the top of the list of targets Newcastle have. They were interested in him last summer, and that interest remains.
"They think he could be a striker that could help take them to the next level, both in the league and in Europe.
"The only reason they didn’t move in January is because Dominic is struggling with injuries.
"Due to where Newcastle are in their season, riding high in the league and in a League Cup semi final, they need additions who can hit the ground running."